Thrift Store Zoo Two...Because Mondays need a little funny weirdness

Because it is about 100 degrees out and a Monday, I thought I'd lighten things up by sharing some of the animals I've recently noticed on the thrift store shelves and in one of my favorite antique malls (which is a step up from the thrift store, but not a big step).

I went around a corner and came face-to-face with this guy, who scared the heck out of me and I yelled out a word that started with "F"... but it wasn't "Fox", which is what this once was.



This howling wolf is a relative of the fox, but this guy looks more majestic, and much less rabid, than his cousin.



I spotted this guy and I know he is a beaver, but reminded me of the awesome honey badger, and if you haven't seen the honey badger video on YouTube, let me take this opportunity to direct your attention to it and make your day even better. After you watch this video, you will automatically start calling people who obviously just don't give a sh** a Honey Badger.





I know owls are suppose to look wise, but I think the memo these guys got was more along the lines of angry and disappointed.




Which is the opposite of how this cute little pig looks.
 And with all the humidity lately, I can relate to his hairstyle too.


 This is the happiest looking bull I've ever seen, and living in the country I've seen a few. If you are not familiar with them, please understand he is a misrepresentation of the general bull population. Do not approach one for cuddles... trampling is much more likely.



 These little monkeys were designed as an anniversary gift for someone's parents. I feel like I would have mixed feelings about receiving this as a gift from my sons for our anniversary. I would have to wonder...Do we look like monkeys? Do we smell like them too?


Stay cool everyone and have a happy 4th of July!!

Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts