Goodbye Summer

I know I'm not the only one staring with my mouth open at the calendar saying, "What the...? How is it the second-half of September? Where did summer go?"

When I think back on the last few months, it's mostly a blur with a few clear memories like a long weekend in New Hope for our anniversary, a family reunion, and a day boating on the river.

But my family's schedule precluded anything much longer than a weekend here or there, and no trips to the beach this year.

Luckily, I hardly missed the ocean, since I spotted so much aquatic life on the thrift store shelves (yes, read in sarcasm here, I really wish we'd gotten to the beach!)

But I did get to see lots of dolphins.

Lots and lots of dolphins.
Ah, so life like.


And some sea turtles...I didn't realize they wore hats, must be a rare species.


And this sailor winked at me..and then opened a bottle of wine for me.



Didn't have to go to the zoo either. 
I saw Lions...

And Tigers...

And Bears..oh my.

Saw this and wished I hadn't.

And now - in the blink of an eye - its time to see lots of these!


I hope you got to make some fun memories this summer and stuck your toes in the sand,
or wherever your favorite toe-sticking spot may be. 







Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts