I'm not weird, you're weird...and a book update

I am very lucky to have work that I like (even if it has me pulling my hair out lately) as a Real Estate Appraiser. 

And I am even luckier that I also like my co-workers, who often make me laugh even on the days where I am doing the most hair pulling.

In particular, I work with two sisters who are professional women, 50-plus years old, well regarded in their field -- and on occasion revert to the teenage siblings fighting over who got to keep the Shaun Cassidy poster from the latest Tiger Beat magazine I imagine they once were.

Out of nowhere, over the office intercom you may hear...

"Hey, Weirdo!"

"I'm not a weirdo, you're weird!"

"No, you're weird."

...and then we will all go back to discussing the latest market data and the newest federal regulations for our industry.


As I wander through the thrift store and see the strange figurines -- that I don't understand why they were made in the first place or who thought they were a good idea -- you can understand why I often hear in my head the sister's yelling at each other...

I'm not weird! You're weird!

 
Nuh, uh, you're weird!
And could use a better retirement plan.


 You're scary weird.


You're weird, but with a killer hat.


Pipe smoking creatively weird.


Captain of the Guard of weird.


Moodily weird.


Happily weird.


Here's to keeping it weird, people.

Book Update...

On my journey to get the second book out in the Miller's Fine Antiques series, I have had a lot "three steps forward and two steps back" situations.

But I have finally put out an updated edition of Such Beautiful Deadly Things on Kindle/paperback, so that the story lines will flow properly. SBDT

The next goal is to refocus on book two, Such a Lot of Deadly Things, to make it available by the end of the month. So, I feel like I'm finally moving forward, even if slower than I'd like.




Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts