Happy Halloween! Isn't it the little things?

 I am a lover of Halloween 👻


It reminds me of those first feelings of independence and freedom as a child, running down the street in my "gypsy" costume with my friends. Amazed that we were allowed out after dark, going up to the doors all by ourselves - our fathers keeping an eye on us from a distance with cans of Budweiser (it was the 70's, very normal), fostering the illusion we were on our own.


When my kids were little, I tried to recreate that feeling for them too, keeping watch from a friend's driveway with some mulled cider as they ran the neighborhood.

Now that the kids are grown, I still love to decorate for the spooky season. As I look around at the bits and bobs I've picked up at thrift stores, I am reminded at how these little things bring me a bit of joy. 

Things I picked up for pennies, but make me smile.

A metal spider candle holder.


A witch's shoe to dispense your hand soap.


A Dracula votive to light your way to the Snicker's bars.


These old blocks configured to welcome you to autumn brighten my day every time I walk through the dining room.


Even the mug I'm drinking my coffee from as I write this gives me a little Halloween smile.


It feels like you blink after Halloween and it's Thanksgiving. I just found serving pieces probably made the same year as this house. I can't wait to put some cranberry sauce and green bean casserole in them!


I can only hope we look half as happy as the people on the box (I am definitely planning on gazing this adoringly at Mark while someone scoops up Swedish meatballs in front of us).


Of course...and you know what's coming...there are plenty of cast off Halloween décor I left right on the thrift store shelves. After I'd taken a photo.


Sitting in front of a Live - Laugh - Love sign...I think he's just trying to follow directions.


This pile of old rubber masks did not inspire me to slide one on my face.


She's in the spirit, going fully orange.


Which you can too if you purchase this lovely tanning light. At least your face could be toasted, not sure how you get the rest of you to match.


This guy is not sure if he's a rabbit or cat, but certainly in the Halloween spirit with a pumpkin on his head.


This (sarcastic and cynical) graduation figure inadvertently became a spooky decoration when it lost it's head.


I wish you all the happiest of Halloweens! And may you find joy in the simple things!

But don't blink. Before you know it, it'll be time to wake up this guy.


Shhhh


P.S. If you're in the mood for a witchy story. Here's one I wrote for Vocal Media.

Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts