Carol Ann Would Be Proud

 While the editing process continues for the sequel to Such Beautiful Deadly Things - working title is So Many Deadly Things - I have been caught up in a tornado of life events and work craziness that has not provided me much head space for writing.

But I have still managed to wander into a thrift store at least once a week, staring at eyeball-less ceramic Cabbage Patch Kids wondering what turn my life took to be standing in front of this beauty...then I take a picture of it.

Or pondering why coconut-beings with wire rim glasses and big nipples seem to follow me around...and then take a picture of that, too.

But I wanted to make sure it was on record that I don't just seek out the weird and tacky, the forgotten and tossed away, and share some of the nicer things that have come home with me. 

Things that I think the main character of Such Beautiful Deadly Things, antique dealer extraordinaire Carol Ann Miller, might even put in her shop.

Like this lovely vase that sits on a funky vintage table cloth in my dining room as it holds peonies from my yard.

Or this horse head bookend and mid-century vase that also sit on a funky vintage table cloth (I may have a slight table cloth addiction).


I found this chair (set of two) at my favorite thrift store while hunting for an over-sized coffee maker for a birthday brunch we were throwing - like you do. 


And you better believe I didn't leave the coffee maker behind even though the chairs took up 99% of my car. It's transportation themed, for goodness sake!

Notice the little carved trees under glass next to the chair. I found this interesting item at a yard sale and could not leave it behind. It's the tiniest landscape I've ever seen. And for a dollar. C'mon!


Last weekend I convinced Mark to go to Baltimore to Second Chances with me, where we found a mahogany table and chair set for our porch. 

When I spotted this unique set, I may have made a bunch of weird guttural sounds and thrown myself on top of it, while simultaneously yelling at Mark to run to pay before someone else got it. 

Luckily, he really liked it too and was half-way to the cash register already. 


And just so we're clear, while I will take a picture of whatever-the-hell this is (fish? chick? baby dinosaur?) for your - and frankly my own - entertainment...


I think Carol Ann would be proud of my thrifty finds that make their way home with me. 


If nothing else, they bring me a little joy. And sometimes, for just a dollar.


Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts