Being Supportive

Being a parent of twenty-somethings is of course very different from the craziness of parenting in the two-in-diapers stage, or the soccer/swim/boy scout juggle years, or even the beginning-college-jitters. This time of life has it's own challenges though, with one son who has graduated college and is now navigating the world of job hunting, while the other is halfway across the planet for his semester abroad. 

As they are both doing exactly what they should be, there is really nothing for me to do but cheer them on. So when I passed these bras at the thrift store today, I felt a kind of kinship with them - not just because they are also a little tired looking, pale and have probably lost some flexibility - but because they too just want to be supportive. 


I chuckled to myself as I walked past the underwear, not only at the absurdity of comparing myself to a foundation garment, but that I still find the thrift store can make me smile and lighten my mood - even when I'm a little worried about things I can't control.

I mean, how can you not smile when you are looking at the world through beer-colored glasses, as my friend Linda demonstrated at the Goodwill. 


Or laugh at the fact that weird coconut-heads seem to follow you around. I swear they are at every thrift store I go to, but Linda says she never sees them. They might be stalking me. 



This poodle statue actually terrified me more than it made me laugh...


Until I saw he had little poodle nipples. Which did crack me up. 
I also don't think twelve is the normal amount, it seems a little excessive.


I am not only cheered up at the thrift store, but often inspired too. 

Like by this fisherman, who exudes the indomitable spirit of the seafarer.


Or this woman carrying around these big fish all day. I thought my job was hard.


And no matter what age my kids are, I can't promise that sometimes I'm not going run up to them looking like this lady - as if they just got off the bus in kindergarten - but I will try and restrain myself.

Although, I can almost guarantee this is exactly how I'm going to look at the airport when my son comes home from his adventures abroad. 

Maybe I'll bring him a twelve-nippled poodle as a present.



Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts