Black Moon Rising

A few weeks ago there was a second new moon in one month, which is called a Black Moon. Plus, it was a supermoon – the moon’s closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit. About that time things started to feel a bit out of kilter in my life. Cattywompus. Off. You get the idea.

I've decided to blame it on the moon.



For example, in my Etsy shop, first I get one of the nicest reviews I've ever gotten...


No, thank you, rupertc317.

Then just a few days later, I get a complaint from a very unhappy customer who's item (well wrapped and not particularly delicate) arrived to them damaged. Refund. Not expecting a five-star review from them.

And in my work as a real estate appraiser...

I completed an appraisal months ago - client is very happy, gives me a compliment (which is a super-rare thing in the real estate appraisal business) . A few months later, a new bank buys out the one I did the appraisal for - they flat out hate my report.

I could give you further examples that would include a lawn mover engine exploding, and the front of my car falling off because of a random piece of truck tire flying at me on the highway...but I will not.

Instead I'm going to do what brings me a little joy and show you some of the things I've seen lately that might be even more messed up than the front of my car. Or, at least, less expensive.

Like this. What is this? Really. For-the-love-of-Pete, what is this?


While there is nothing strange about a pitcher...do we need it labeled? 
Was there some ambiguity about what this is?


This item is only about 6" tall and 8" wide. It can't possibly be a Cat Paradise. 
Ironically, it could be a Mouse Paradise.


These would certainly brighten up any room.


I wish I had bought this tissue box cover, I really wanted to see it with the Kleenex coming out of its nose...but I couldn't bring myself to buy it and I didn't have tissues on me, so you'll have to imagine.


I have been looking all over for someplace to store my unwanted advise and my guilt!


 And for a one-eyed, cranky-looking sea captain's head to drink my morning coffee out of.


 At least this ceramic snake looks happy.


So, I'm going to try and emulate the snake and smile through this moon cycle...hoping the next will ease up on me. If it doesn't, I may have to cover myself in sage to ward off the bad vibes as I hunt around in the grass for some four-leaf clovers. 






Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts