Stoner's Auction

Last year I posted about my favorite auction, Wehrly's, which is the inspiration for the auction house in my book Such Beautiful Deadly Things - where the main characters go every other Tuesday to buy merchandise for their antique shop.

This past Saturday I went along with my friend Linda and her mom to their favorite auction, Stoner's Auction House...and no, no one was getting stoned there...or if they were, I didn't see it.


While the building is not a great example of architectural design, Stoner's does hold a whole lotta stuff.


Like trays and trays of jewelry, which I did not bid on because I was feeling rusty; it has been awhile since I bid at auction and the fast paced action was flying by me.

Each lot went very cheaply, and I could have kicked myself for not jumping into the bidding.

There were plenty of knives, fishing poles, remote-control cars and pretty much anything else you would want for a man-cave.


There were a ton of old radios and I did finally jump back into the bidding pool by sticking my hand up with my paper number and buying two of these for my Etsy Shop. I kept the momentum going and bought an old red-metal stool and wooden apple crate too.

But among the things that caught my eye because I might want to buy them, were many other things that caught my eye because I really did not. Like this mask...just no. It looks like its laughing at you; it gives me a complex.


I think this elf-guy might be laughing at me too. Or I'm just getting paranoid. 


This lamp was quite fancy...and bulbous.


This was a poster from the good-old-days when celebrities would advertise for cigarettes and how great they made your throat feel.


Since Mark was not with me - he usually is looking at his watch about a half-hour into the auction - I got to stay the whole time, which was easy to tell with all the clocks around.


Mark's early Father's Day gift was not making him go with me to the auction, and that all of the stuff you see here was not mine and did not go into my house.

Linda and Lee might have found a few things, though.


             From this weird bean-dad and his bean-son, have a very happy Father's Day!





Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts