Please and Thank You




I was brought up to be polite, to say please and thank you. These simple niceties becoming a natural part of how I move in the world.

29 Funny Thank You Meme Of The Day
However, the thrift store does not care at all if I act politely or not. It couldn't care less if I reject something rudely on its shelves, making a grossed out face and derisive sound while I put it back, wondering why the heck it was even made in the first place - or since I've been doing this blog, more likely digging in my purse for my phone so I can take a picture of it.

Nor does the thrift store feel better when I am excited by something I've discovered on its shelves and take it gleefully to the cashier.

But let's pretend for a moment that it does...

The thrift store and yard sale gods have been sitting on my shoulder lately and I've found some lovely things, so I'd like to express my gratitude. I would like to say "thank you" for these items that I quickly put into my Etsy Shop. Some of them sold in just a few days. Some are still there, but I have a feeling not for too long.


This bag was at my favorite thrift store; it's a popular retro-style right now. The colors were so bright I spotted it from across the room. The inside of it is in perfect condition too.

image 0

This antique handmade wooden box I found on the back of a trailer at a yard sale. The woman was cleaning out her father's barn and I was very happy to relieve her of this little piece of history.


image 0


This set of vintage stainless steel flatware was on the trailer too. Never been used, never out of the box with a starburst design on the handles. It sold in just a couple days. Thank you again, lady-with-the-trailer-of-stuff-in-a-church-sale-parking-lot.

image 0


This beautiful antique Lusterware children's tea set I spotted in the toy section of a thrift store didn't last in my shop more than a day before it was purchased.

image 0


Even though I have had a run of finding some great inventory, there were still plenty of things I said "no thank you" to as well.

Like these flying-monkey candle holders. For everyone looking for that Wizard of Oz decor.



Or this cross-legged, flying goat-god statue. Just couldn't picture it adding that special goat-god touch everyone is looking for in their home.



This bicep bank might have been a big seller for the body builder looking to make a nest egg...
but I left it where it was. 



I can't imagine why someone wanted to part with this cheery holiday decoration of Christmas Future.


And speaking of cheery...these guys, right? 
Just one of this judgy-looking sea captain was not enough, two were required for maximum coastal decor impact.


I am hoping my good thrift store and yard sale hunting mojo continues, it does come in waves. Before you know it, my streak may end and all I will find are faceless pilgrims offering me their faceless children.


But for now, I will just say thank you.













Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts