I didn't Even Know I Needed That Thrift Store


When scientists come up with an automatic bed maker or self-cleaning bathroom, I am going to be the first person in line to buy them.

However, there are some "inventions" that turn up on the thrift store shelves that I really didn't know I ever needed...and still don't.

Like this Potato Clock kit.
What happens when this baby starts to rot? The smell will wake you up before the alarm goes off.



And these two "Retirement Kits" may be missing the main ingredient...a 401k.

Although there are Money Seeds in the this one, so that's probably just as good.


I'm actually not even sure what's in this box. From the cover maybe a cruise ship and a plane.


A "Design Your Own Llama Kit." I have kind of always wanted to design my own llama.


This paunchy golfer will hold your golf tees, so I guess that is useful, 
but I feel kind of weird about taking one out.


I did decide I needed this puppet show set from the sixties, mostly because I thought someone on Etsy will really think they need it and purchase it from me.


I was excited when I found it still in the box and looks like it may never have been used. 

All the accessories were there too. 
These attachable heads for example...they're not too creepy, right?! 


Mark is hoping someone is as excited as I think they will be and buys it soon, so our house is puppet-show free once again.

And in the blink of an eye...it's time for the Easter Bunnies to invade the shelves!







Comments

  1. I love this, Heather! I found my favorite watch & sunglasses in a thrift store in Albuquerque 3 yrs ago.
    That town is solid thrift & junk stores so better keep far away.

    Cheers,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds like a place I could get into a lot of trouble!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts