Confusion...My Writing and the Thrift Store Shelves


I can be a big old waffler and major fence sitter when weighing options and making decisions. But when I finally - and probably painfully - reach one, I do generally move along towards my objective.

Which is why lately it has been quite frustrating to hit a mental road block with my writing, banging my head against the wall (sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally) with a lot of...

Does that plot twist really make sense?

Would that character say that?

Should he really be the killer?

Because these are details I had thought about a lot and written copious notes on before I even started writing this book.

Things I thought were resolved. But apparently not.

To make matters worse, instead of focusing on figuring out these burning questions so I can move on and stop all the head banging, my brain has been pulling me in a totally new direction to a completely different story line and genre.

The kicker is, I am enjoying the detour. When I stop admonishing my brain for not working on the book at hand and let it wander where it wants, notes begin to flow, plots thicken and characters develop.

So, now I have to sit on my fence and ask... Am I just distracting myself with this new story to avoid solving the hard questions on the book I've been working on?

Or... Should I see where this new story leads me, even if that means several months of work put away in a dark desk drawer?

Not only are my thoughts confusing me, but so are some of the nick-knacks on the thrift store shelves.

Like this duck-turtle-fish feet-planter-soap dish with a jaunty propeller hat, and a bowl body that seems too shallow for a planter and a too deep for a soap dish. This thing really is confusing,
but seems happy.

And why does this whale have the chicken pox? How would a whale even get the chicken pox? And why would we want to purchase a virus ridden whale and display it in our house as a decoration? 


This guy really is a head-scratcher. He is an egg. With a scuba mask. Sitting on a raft. I thought at first this might be a soap dish - even though I really didn't understand the correlation between an egg and soap - but the raft is really too small for that anyway. 
So you have to ask yourself, for what purpose was he made?
Although, he looks happy too.


So, as ponder which path my writing should take, I will continue to roam the thrift stores to find a little funny in the day, maybe a forgotten item to re-purpose (although probably not a scuba egg-guy), or look for some forgotten treasure to sell on Etsy (also, probably not a scuba egg-guy)...or just to distract myself as I waffle away.

.

Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts