Playing with Thrift Store Ceramics

In an earlier post I talked about hunting around the thrift store shelves for white mugs, and little white pots as well. This particular search was prompted by some Pintrest inspiration (which is so often the case with crafting :-). 

This tree design was copied from one I found on Pintrest which was done on a mug. I thought it would be super-cute on a pot with a plant on top to look like the top of the tree.

After some more research on how to apply ink to existing ceramics that would not wash off, I went to the Dick Blick art supply website where I purchased Craftsmart Premium Multi Surface Paints, then at Michaels I found Acrylic Paint Markers and a fine tip Ceramic marker.The instructions on all the different types of ink/paint was to wipe ceramics down first with alcohol, then after inking/painting, wait about 3 days for ink to thoroughly dry. As a last step, put in a 310-360 degree oven for 25 minutes to set it permanently.  

I have to say that when I was working on the ceramics and I made a mistake, even if I wiped off the ink/paint quickly and still wet, it did not come off easily. So I have some hope that after letting the mugs and pots set for three days and then baking, that the designs will stay on even after hand washing. 

The directions say these paints are top-shelf dishwasher safe, but I think I would always hand wash.



These little cat designs were inspired by ones I saw on Pintrest too. They are on nice, thick matching Pottery Barn mugs I found.

 This smiling face looked like it fit this little round mug and may be a happy way to start the day.

I am looking forward to playing with the paints more and seeing if they stand up to some washing.

Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts