It's the (really) little things

Often it's the little things that give us a spring in our step.

Like how light and bouncy your hair feels right after a hair cut.

The smell of your kitchen when you've had a roast cooking all day.

Sliding into fresh sheets.

Finding a big plastic bag of colorful thingies labeled "Vintage Dollhouse Furniture $5" stuck way back on a bottom shelf at the thrift store...oh, happy day! 


OK, maybe not everyone gets as excited as I do with a find like this...but c'mon...its a mystery bag! There could be anything in there!

Luckily for me, I know people who get as excited as I do about this kind of thing. When I got home, I called my friend Linda - who is also an Etsy seller and avid vintage hunter - to tell her what I'd found. I'd barely finished saying I would wait to open it if she wanted to come over, when I realized she'd already hung up and was on her way.

This pile of goodies reminded me of the giant bag of magnets I found at a yard sale, and my husband made fun of me for getting, until he realized I could turn that $1 bag into a $100 bag...kind of like magic. Blog about my anniversary and a bag of magnets.

As soon as Linda showed up, we sat down on the couch and stared reverently at the bag for a moment...and then we dug in.


Once we'd weeded out some broken pieces, bottle caps and a wooden block, we got down to putting together tiny furniture sets, reuniting a Fischer Price family, and placing little-bitty lids on little-bitty
pots.

 

One of the best finds was this orange mid-century looking credenza, dresser and chairs.


One of the creepier ones was this tiny doll.


I knew my aunt would share our excitement - she's got vision too - so I texted her a picture of my colorful pile of treasures. She immediately focused on this little girl holding a plate. 


"What's the white girl about? What's she doing?"
There was much speculation back and forth. Then...
"I would like to borrow her. I can get her right back to you."

As if I had some urgent necessity for this 1-inch tall plastic child.
I'm not sure why my aunt likes her so much, but I'm going to be super-generous and give it to her.

I do believe my return on this bag will be even better than on the bag of magnets - the Fischer Price family alone should quadruple my investment - and I wish I could say that's why I was so excited by my find...that would be grown-up and fiscally responsible of me...but it was really more about the mystery of the bag and the possibility of the surprises inside.

Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts