What I Bought, What I Passed Up...A Game

Now that I have sold a few more things in my newly re-stocked Etsy shop, I'm kind of obsessed. I'm having trouble passing by a thrift store, yard sale or church sale without just "taking a quick peek."

And I've been peeking, and buying, but also passing up on some choice weirdness.

So I thought it would be fun to play a game I'm going to call "What Did I Buy and What Did I Pass Up?"

Did I buy this hand-painted Ransburg Cookie Jar I happened to spot in a cart full of things waiting to be put on a shelf at Goodwill (possibly squeaking a little at finding it perched on a pile of plastic dishes and nabbing it before the Goodwill employee could turn around and put it on the shelf)?

Or did I buy this fancy Victorian cat?

Hint: I do love a cookie.


Did I purchase this trio of carolers made of Paper Mache sometime in the mid-century?

Or did I put this wide-eyed, frazzled little man with the rosy cheeks in my cart?
 

Hint: Fa, la, la, la, la...


Did I purchase this Phyllis Diller snow-lady?

Or pass her up for this ceramic terrier on a blue book? 

Hint: Dogs and books...two of my favorite things.


Did I stroll right past this one-eyed coconut dude?



To grab this ceramic flowered canister?

Hint: You betcha.


And finally...do you think I passed up this antique embroidered prayer made for a nursery,
to nab this headless angel?

Hint: No, I did not.



I was worried my digression back into stocking My Etsy Shop again would distract me from my writing, but I'm having such a good time, it has actually energized me and I had a very good writing session yesterday. 


So happy treasuring hunting, my friends, whether that be in life or a thrift store, there are always good things to be found among the weirdness -sometimes it even is the weirdness (although probably not a one-eyed coconut dude).





Comments

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts