Mischief

When I was a kid (and probably still) the night before Halloween was called Mischief Night, which is when houses got teepeed and some eggs might have been thrown. I always wanted to go out - just one roll of toilet paper - but my parents banned me from the mischief making.

And, truthfully, even though I sat moping on the couch telling them, "Everyone else's parents let them go out!" I can understand why they didn't...nor did I let my kids either when their time came.

Nowadays, the biggest mischief I get into is sneaking bags from the thrift store into my basement...hoping my husband doesn't notice just how many bags.

This Halloween there was some extra-weird stuff on the thrift store shelves that I resisted bringing home. Mostly, it didn't take much will-power.

For example...I did not bring home this green furry monster with the goiter problem.

Nor did I bring home this smiling ghost cradling a skull so lovingly.


This witch decided to just jump right into her cauldron like a hot tub and bring a radio with her. Seems like a safety hazard to me, I left her where she was.

I can tell you this poo-colored ceramic head also remained on the shelf.

I did contemplate getting this "Sir Bourbon" bottle (his head is actually the top, his body is the bottle) because it is what my husband aspires to be referred to as, but alas, he did not make the cut either.


And before Halloween is even in our rear-view mirror, the shelves are already starting to look like this!

Happy Halloween!!!

Comments

  1. Ha ha! Pooh head's expression clearly states that he is not happy being a poo head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who the heck would make that and think it looked nice to put on a shelf?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Carol Ann's Corner

Carol Ann's Corner
Tips from our favorite shop keeper

Real or Reproduction

As you are hunting around for treasure at yard sales and flea markets, you will come across things that make you wonder if they are original or reproductions. It can be hard to tell.

These are a couple tip offs.

One, does it look a little worn? It should if its really antique or vintage. Even the best kept china got moved around in the cabinet, the doll's vinyl body and hair faded a bit, or the lunch box got a little rust around the hinges. If it looks shiny and new, chances are it is.

Two, are there a lot of them? If you are in a shop or flea market stall and there are ten of the items you've been looking for and haven't been able to find...they have probably been manufactured. Unless you are at a reputable dealer who specializes in that item, then you may have hit the jackpot for your particular collectible.

A good way to gauge if it is a reputable dealer is they will be happy to answer your questions about if the item is authentic or not, and how you can tell. A dealer with a passion and knowledge about that item, will enjoy explaining that all to you. A disreputable dealer, not so much.

Carol Ann Miller
Proprietor, Miller's Fine Antiques

Popular Posts